The Fitzwilliam Museum is about to undertake a major building conservation project in the Founder’s Entrance. The focus will be on the lantern at the very top of the building.
The Founder’s building was first opened to the public in 1848 and the maintenance and preservation of the historic features is paramount. As a Grade 1 listed building, it is a priority to ensure it will remain resilient long into the future.
This project will look to address a variety of different aspects, including the replacement of some of the gutters and rain water pipes to prevent leaks. Repairs and replacement of some of the damaged curved glass and glazing compound (which holds the glass in place) will be done. Conservation work to the internal decorative plasterwork and balustrade will also be undertaken.
Work has already begun in preparation for the scaffold installation: the sculptures that usually sit on the first floor landing have been boxed up and put into storage for safekeeping.
From the end of April, a large scaffold platform will be installed across the whole of the Founder’s Entrance to allow access to the lantern. This will mean that the Entrance Hall will need to be closed to visitors for a few weeks. Once the scaffold is up and false ceiling put in, visitors will be able to visit the Hall once again.
This project will continue into early 2018. Please keep an eye on the Conservation and Collections Care blog for updates and photos.